At Sphere, we’re all about guiding our community toward their best health and wellness, and with summer here, sun care is top of mind. This summer we are here to guide you to make informed decisions about what goes on your skin and, of course, share our favourite picks for high quality, advanced skincare products that your skin will love!
You might have heard about chemical and physical (or mineral) sunscreens but let us break down the differences for you.
- Think of chemical sunscreen as a sponge.
- Chemical sunscreen is absorbed into your skin to convert UV radiation into heat which is then released by the skin.
- Contains active carbon-based compounds like oxybenzone, avobenzone, octinoxate, and tinosorb, some of which have been linked to negative health outcomes.
- Needs to be applied with ample time prior to sun exposure because it needs to be absorbed into the skin to work effectively.
- It needs to be reapplied often because it breaks down over time and loses the ability to protect your skin.
Physical (mineral) sunscreen
- Think of physical sunscreen as a shield.
- It forms a protective barrier on your skin to block UVA and UVB rays before they reach the skin’s surface.
- Contains safe, active, mineral ingredients like zinc oxide and titanium dioxide.
- Begins working immediately because of its reflective qualities.
- Lasts well on your skin because it doesn’t undergo a chemical reaction when applied and the ingredients don’t degrade overtime.
- Gentle on reactive or sensitive skin.
Earlier this year, we introduced Canadian clean science brand AlumierMD to our offering at Sphere and it has quickly become a key part of many of our wellness recommendations. One of the many things that drew us to AlumierMD was their lineup of professional grade 100% physical sunscreens. Three options from AlumierMD that are appropriate for unique skin preferences are: Clear Shield, Sheer Hydration, and Moisture Matte.
Clear Shield – Clear Shield Broad Spectrum SPF 42 is a lightweight, non-comedogenic, quick-drying physical sunscreen that provides powerful broad-spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays using a combination of zinc oxide, titanium dioxide, and niacinamide to soothe and sodium hyaluronate to hydrate the skin.
Sheer Hydration – Sheer Hydration Broad Spectrum SPF 40 is a sheer physical sunscreen that provides powerful broad-spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays. It uses a combination of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide while moisturizing with vitamin E. This formula is also packed with free-radical-quenching antioxidants, including a stable vitamin C, resveratrol, grape seed extract, and glutathione.
Moisture Matte – Moisture Matte Broad Spectrum SPF 40 provides powerful broad-spectrum protection against harmful UVA and UVB rays using a combination of zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. Antioxidants like caffeine, silybin, and knotgrass extract help diminish the visible damage triggered by free radicals. This formula lightly moisturizes to smooth and hydrate, while absorbing excess oil to create a matte finish. Cutting-edge, colour-encapsulated technology blend on the skin, creating a sheer tint and healthy glow.
In summary, summer skin doesn’t have to be sun damaged skin. It is absolutely achievable to end the summer with better skin than in the beginning, and if you want this to be you, then reach out to our team for a complimentary consultation and a recommendation on which sunscreen and accompanying products might be best for you!